Adify Top Leaderboard

May 19, 2008

Why the Javelin Catch is not an Olympic sport

I used to cover high school track & field, and my No. 1 goal at any meet was to not get hit by a javelin, discus, shot put, or anything thrown during a field event. (My No. 2 goal was usually trying to find a cool, shady area to sleep off my hangover.) Despite my general cluelessness and propensity for accidents, keeping my own personal safety top of mind help me avoid any problems.

I guess this guy needs to reevaluate his priorities: a photographer for the Standard-Examiner based out of Ogden, UT was struck in the leg by a javelin thrown during the Utah state high school track and field championships. The injury was described as superficial...

"...lifting the skin on the front side of McGeeney's leg without hitting the bone just below the knee.

Wilkey said McGeeney never lost consciousness and was laughing with medical personnel while he was being taken care of. The javelin was cut off, leaving the tip inside the leg so medical personnel could transport McGeeney in the ambulance."

First, any injury that involves leaving the tip of a javelin inside any part of my body is not "superficial," no matter how life-threatening it is. And if that was me, I wouldn't be "laughing" with the medical personnel. "Crying and screaming that I have a javelin in my leg" would be a better way to describe it.

The big unanswered question that I have: did they count the kid's throw from where it hit the photographer, or the photographer fell after he was struck? Because if it's the latter, the least the guy could have done was limp to record territory before collapsing...

(Original link credit to Deadspin)

Posted by The Duke of Everything

BallHype: hype it up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deadspin's got the picture up now. It's cooler-looking (and appears less painful) than I'd guessed it would be.

I'm mildly shocked that "checking out the female athletes without coming across as overtly creepy" wasn't on your track meet priority list.