Adify Top Leaderboard

Mar 2, 2008

Gus Johnson: BUCKLE UP

If you watch college basketball at all, you know the genius the is Gus Johnson. Simply put, nobody puts more excitement into a game than him (even Big Game Brent Musburger, who is still my choice for college football). He had the call of yesterday's Marquette/Georgetown game, which was a last-second thriller that came down to overtime.

Needless to say, Gus was his usual, subdued self.

I want Gus Johnson to follow me around, just calling events in my life.

"And Richard goes in for the final pitch...yeaaargh, he closes the lead!"

Posted by The Duke of Everything

BallHype: hype it up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could Gus Johnson be a guest commentator on our blogs?

BJ said...

I don't understand the love for Gus Johnson, he's just a new version of Dick Vitale. On the other hand, that makes him better than about 90% of the big network announcers.

When I see names like Patrick, Vitale, Raftery, Packer, Lundquist, Nantz and Musburger (who somehow understands hoops less than football), it's an immediate mute.

The Duke of Everything said...

Gus Johnson actually seems like he cares about the games he covers, whether it's Xavier vs. Ohio St. in the NCAA tournament, or some regular season game that no one will remember in two weeks. I guess that, for me, after watching game after game with announcers with no real emotion and a palpable sense of fake enthusiasm, it's refreshing to see someone who actually gets caught up in the spirit of the game.

Also, and I might get killed for this...I kind of don't mind Dick Vitale. I mean, at this point what kills him is overexposure. But at his best, he brings passion to a broadcast, and you start to care more because he clearly does care so much.